Based on a recipe from Betty Crocker's Cookbook, New and Revised Edition, Golden Press, NY, 1983, p 261.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cups peaches peeled and sliced, about 6 medium
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 cup milk
- Cinnamon Whipped Cream
- Place rack in center of oven and preheat to 400° F.
- Place 2-quart saucepan on stove. Add 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon; stir to combine. Add peaches and lemon juice. Using medium heat, cook while stirring, until mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Boil while stirring for 1 minute. Pour into 2-quart baking dish; keep warm.
- In medium bowl combine 1 tablespoon sugar, baking powder, and salt. Use large fork to cut in shortening until mixture forms fine crumbs. Stir in milk without over mixing. Drop dough in 6 even large spoonfuls onto hot peach mixture.
- Bake until biscuits are golden brown, 25 - 30 minutes. Serve warm. Garnish with Cinnamon Whipped Cream, if desired.