Salmon, Asparagus - Pea and Lime - Potato Salad
This recipe that can be made ahead makes a beautiful complete meal that will impress guests. Perfect in spring and summer.Based on a recipe by Molly O'Neill, The New York Times Magazine, p 66, May 21, 1995.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 1/4 pounds salmon fillet
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt plus more to taste
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh mint
- 24 asparagus spears tough ends trimmed or peeled
- 3/4 pound sugar snap peas strings removed and trimmed
- 1 cup cooked peas
- 3 tablespoons Lemon Vinaigrette see separate recipe
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds small red potatoes cut into 1/8 inch slices
- 1/4 cup reduced fat sour cream
- 5 tablespoons plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3/4 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 scallion green part only, thinly sliced
- 12 cups salad greens washed, dried, torn into bite sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons Lemon Vinaigrette see Recipe
- Place oven rack in center and preheat oven to 350° F. Place salmon on baking sheet, season with salt and pepper. Bake until just cooked through, about 20 minutes. Cool, remove skin, and use fork to flake into large chunks. Place in serving bowl; gently toss with lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with mint.
- In 3-quart sauce pan, boil water. Separate asparagus tips from stalks; set aside. Cut stalks into 1-inch pieces. Blanch asparagus stalks in boiling, water for 2 minutes. Add asparagus tips and blanch 1 minute more. Remove asparagus from water to colander, retaining hot water in pot. Cool under running water, drain well. Place in serving bowl. In boiling water, blanch sugar snaps until tender-crisp, about 4 minutes; drain and cool under running water. Add sugar snaps and peas to asparagus in serving bowl. Add 3 tablespoons vinaigrette and toss to combine. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Place potatoes in same 3-quart saucepan used for vegetables, cover with cold water. Bring to boil, lower heat, simmer covered until just tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and cool. Make dressing in serving bowl by whisking together sour cream, yogurt, canola oil, lime zest and juice, salt and pepper. Add potatoes, toss to combine with dressing. Garnish with scallion.
- Place salad greens in a large serving bowl and, just before serving, toss with Lemon Vinaigrette. Pass salmon, vegetables and potatoes separately, allowing guests to build their own salads.