Wild Rice -Wheat Berry Salad with Apples, Cranberries and Pine Nuts
This is a nice salad for gatherings that can be made in advance. It pairs well with chicken. Brown rice may be substituted for the wheat berries, if they are unavailable. The long prep time is due to the long cooking time required for the grains.Based on a recipe from Raising the Salad Bar, Catherine Walthers, Lake Isle Press, NY, 2007, p 198.
Servings: 6 servings
- 3/8 cup wheat berries rinsed, or brown rice
- 1/2 cup wild rice rinsed
- 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 granny smith apple diced, don't peel
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 1/8 cup pine nuts
Citrus Vinaigrette - 20 min prep
- grated zest from 1/2 lemon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- grated zest from 1/2 orange
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely minced shallot or 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- In pot on stove, bring 2 quarts of water and wheat berries to boil. Reduce to low, cover and simmer for 35 minutes. Add wild rice and salt to pot. Return to boil, then lower heat to simmer, partially covered, for 50 - 55 minutes, until grains are cooked. Wild rice may have split but will still have bite. Wheat berries should be plump and slightly chewy. Drain well. Stir in cranberries while still hot and let mixture cool completely.
- In a small bowl whisk together vinaigrette ingredients.
- In serving bowl, combine cooled grains and cranberries with celery, diced apple, and parsley. Add dressing and mix well. Garnish with pine nuts. Serve at room temperature.