Mixed Green Salad with Lemon-Walnut Dressing
With sliced apple and crumbled goat cheese, this salad pairs well with boneless chicken breast to make a meal. Based on a recipe from Raising the Salad Bar, Catherine Walthers, Lake Isle Press, NY, 2007, p 46.
Servings: 5 servings
- 1/3 cup walnuts chopped
- 1 small head Boston or butterhead lettuce or 3 cups mixed greens
- 1 cup slivered radicchio
- 1 cup frisee (if available) torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 endive cored and slivered lengthwise
- 1 crisp apple
- fresh lemon juice
- 4 ounces goat cheese crumbled
Lemon-Walnut Dressing - 5 min prep
- 1/3 cup walnuts toasted
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toast walnuts for salad and dressing. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place nuts in single layer on baking sheet and roast 7 to 9 minutes. Allow to cool. Rub nuts with hands or in cotton towel to remove as much brown skin as possible.
- To make dressing, in a food processor finely chop 1/3 cup toasted walnuts. Add 2 tablespoons water, lemon juice, mustard, honey, oil, salt and pepper. Blend until creamy. If dressing is too thick, adjust by adding a small amount of water at a time, not more than 3 tablespoons total.
- In a serving bowl, combine lettuce, radicchio, frisee, and endive. Toss with dressing.
- Quarter and core apple, leaving skin on, and slice very thin into small bowl. Toss with small amount of lemon juice to prevent browning. Add apple slices to salad. Top salad with crumbled goat cheese and chopped toasted walnuts. Serve immediately.