Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
A delicious, moist cake spiced with cinnamon that pairs nicely with the cream cheese frosting. Makes a tube cake, layer cake, or 24 cupcakes.
- 1 1/2 cups canola oil (try reducing by 1/2 cup)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/8 cups canned pureed pumpkin
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese 1/3 reduced fat works out fine
- Place rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Grease and flour a tube pan, 2 - 9 inch cake pans, or line 2 muffin tins for 24 cupcakes with paper liners.
- Add oil, eggs, and sugar to large bowl of stand mixer; mix until uniformly combined.
- In small bowl, sift together cinnamon, baking soda, flour, and salt. Add to large bowl and stir to combine. Add pumpkin; beat until uniformly mixed. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 55 - 60 minutes for tube pan, less for a layer cake, and approximately 20 minutes for cupcakes. A toothpick inserted in center should come out clean.
- When done, allow to cool 5 minutes before turning cake onto cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- In large bowl of stand mixer, beat together butter, vanilla and half of the sugar until uniform. Add cream cheese and beat just until mixture is uniform. Add only enough of remaining sugar until frosting is a good spreading consistency. Over beating will cause frosting to get watery.