Scallops - Broiled or Grilled
This is a very easy recipe that is good enough for guests. Serve hot with steamed rice and pair with steamed or grilled vegetables. Any leftover scallops can be served on a salad with a light vinaigrette dressing.Based on a recipe from The New York Times Cookbook, Craig Claiborne, 1961, Harper & Row, Publishers, Inc., New York, NY.
- 1 1/2 pounds sea scallops (not the small bay scallops)
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- Using a baking dish or pie plate, combine all marinate ingredients. Add scallops, spoon some marinade over scallops; cover and marinate several hours in refrigerator.
- If grilling, soak wooden skewers in advance.
- For Grilling: Prepare grill. Place scallops on skewers. 5 - 6 minutes before you wish to serve, place scallops on grill and cook, turning once. Serve immediately.For Broiling: Preheat broiler with broiling rack about 8 inches below heat source. Place scallops and marinade in rimmed baking pan. Broil five - six minutes, turning once mid-way. Note that if pan is too close to broiler, marinade may catch on fire.