Romaine - Fennel Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette, Walnuts and Capers
This is a fabulous salad with a really nice combination of ingredients.The New York Times Cookbook, Craig Claiborne, 1961, Harper & Row, Publishers, Inc., New York, NY, p 416.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 clove garlic peeled
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups romaine cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 cups fennel bulb cut into julienne strips
- 1/3 cup walnut meats coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers
- grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Sprinkle bottom of a salad bowl with salt and rub with garlic. Add olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, and pepper; whisk until well blended.
- Add romaine, fennel, walnuts, capers; toss. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
If preparing ahead, add vinaigrette just before serving.