Chunky Apple Muffins
These muffins are loaded with apples, raisins, and nuts and include lots of cinnamon.Based on a recipe from 5 Star Sensations, Nancy Halpin, 1991, The Auxiliary of University Hospitals of Cleveland, p 40.
Servings: 24 muffins
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon brandy optional
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups Granny Smith apples peeled, cored, and diced 1/2"
- 1 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease or line with paper cups two standard size muffin tins for 24 muffins total.
- Place raisins in small bowl, add brandy and set aside to soak.
- In large bowl of stand mixer, combine sugar, eggs, oil, and vanilla; stir to combine.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to large mixing bowl, stir just enough to combine. Add apples, walnuts, raisins with liquid and mix until evenly combined.
- Divide into muffin cups. Bake 20 - 30 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Extra muffins may be frozen and enjoyed later by individually microwaving about 30 seconds.