Sherried Sweet Potatoes
Mashed sweet potatoes with a bit of sherry and brown sugar. This is a nice side dish to serve with roast poultry or pork.Based on a recipe from The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook, Zoe Coulson, Hearst Books, New York, 1980, p 296.
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cream sherry
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- Place sweet potatoes, unpeeled, in 4-quart pot, fill with water to cover. Place over high heat until boiling, reduce heat to simmer covered. Cook 30 - 40 minutes, allowing more time for large potatoes, until fork tender. Drain and peel.
- Using stand mixer on low speed mash potatoes until smooth, scraping sides of bowl. Add remaining ingredients. At medium speed, beat 2 minutes longer, until sweet potato mixture is light and fluffy.
For Thanksgiving for 10 people, when there are a lot of other side dishes, 3 pounds of sweet potatoes is sufficient.