This easy and pretty chicken recipe combines sweet and savory flavors.
Servings: 6 servings
- 3 pounds chicken pieces skin and visible fat removed. See note.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup shallot diced. About 1 medium-large shallot.
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1/3 cup black olives
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/3 cup dried apricots cut in strips
- 1 teaspoon rosemary crushed, or 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley or 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes oil packed in jar or moist in packet, julienned
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- salt to taste
- In 5-quart stock pot or dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Brown chicken on all sides in olive oil, approximately 5 - 7 minutes. Drain off oil.
- Add remaining ingredients, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until chicken is tender, approximately 25 minutes. Remove chicken, fruits and olives to warm serving platter. Reduce sauce for approximately 5 minutes over high heat. Pour over chicken and serve.
Dark meat, such as chicken thighs will be less dry that white meat. Meat on the bone or boneless may be used; on the bone is easier to handle. Add 30 to prep time if meat needs to be butchered to remove skin and fat. Nice served with potatoes and steamed green beans. Potatoes with Rosemary pairs well.