Sausage and Peppers - for large gathering
This recipe serves 24 and makes enough to fill a lasagna pan. It is a good colorful buffet dish that can be made in advance and reheated in the oven prior to serving.
Servings: 24 servings
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic sliced
- 4 red bell peppers sliced in 1/4 inch strips
- 6 green bell peppers sliced in 1/4 inch strips
- 2 yellow bell peppers sliced in 1/4 inch strips
- 3 medium yellow onions sliced
- 4 pounds sweet Italian pork or chicken sausage
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Over medium-high heat, in an 8-quart stock pot, heat olive oil. Add garlic; cook until brown then discard garlic. Add sliced onions and peppers; cook 2 minutes while stirring. Stir in basil, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook 10 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Meanwhile, cook sausages in two batches using a skillet large enough to fit sausages in a single layer. Spray skillet with oil. Place sausages in skillet; brown over medium-high heat, turning often, for approximately 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low. Carefully add 1/2 cup water, cover, simmer 12 minutes or until instant read thermometer inserted in center registers 160°F. Remove to plate lined with paper towels. When cool enough to handle, slice 1/4" thick and combine with vegetables.
- If preparing in advance, reheat in a large baking dish (a 9 x 13 inch lasagna dish works well) in a 350°F oven.
Serve with rolls or Italian bread.