This is a traditional yellow cake recipe that is tender and moist. Pairs well with Chocolate Frosting https://catherinechristiano.com/2020/01/15/chocolate-frosting-foolproof/ .This recipe makes a 2 layer 8" round cake or 24 standard size cup cakes. Allow time to cool completely before frosting.
Servings: 12 servings
- 2 3/4 cups cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 large egg yolks room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk room temperature
- Place oven rack in center and preheat to 325° F. Grease two 8-inch round cake pans and line bottoms with parchment paper. If making cupcakes, line muffin tin with paper liners.
- In medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In large bowl of stand mixer use whisk attachment to cream together sugar, oil, butter, and vanilla. Add eggs and yolks one at a time, beating until just combined after each addition.
- Use a hand whisk to fold in dry ingredients in 3 parts, alternating with buttermilk in 2 parts. Do not use an electric mixer. Gently fold in just until very small lumps remain.
- Evenly divide batter between prepared cake pans. Bake 30 - 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack 10 minutes before removing from pans. Cool completely before frosting.
How to Freeze to Store
- Once cake layers have completely cooled, wrap in plastic wrap and then foil. Store in freezer bag in freezer up to 3 months. When ready to use, keep wrapped until thawed.
Margarine can be substituted for the butter. If using salted butter or margarine, reduce the amount of salt.