Perfect for serving guests, this large cake is lightly flavored with cinnamon and lemon and includes diced apple. Based on an old family recipe.
Servings: 12 servings
- 1 cups oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice from approximately 1 large lemon or 2 small
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups unbleached flour sifted
- 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups Granny Smith apples peeled, cored, 1/2" diced, approximately 2 apples
- confectioner's sugar
- Place rack in center of oven and preheat to 325°F. Grease bottom only of tube pan.
- In large bowl of stand mixer add all ingredients except apples. Mix until uniformly blended. Stir in diced apples; batter will be somewhat stiff. Evenly distribute batter into prepared tube pan; try to eliminate any air pockets. Bake 1 hour 15 minutes or until done, when a thin sharp knife or skewer inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow cake to rest for 5 minutes in pan on rack. Then remove from pan. Cool completely.
- Slide cake onto serving plate and dust with confectioner's sugar just before serving.
Baking time is for using a dark tube pan, adjust as necessary.