Pasta Salad with Chicken, Artichokes and Sun-Dried Tomato
From Raising the Salad Bar, Catherine Walthers, Lake Isle Press, NY, 2007, p 158.
Prep Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr
Servings: 6 servings
- 1/2 pound penne or spiral- shaped pasta approximately 4 cups when cooked
- 1/2 cup ready-to-eat sun dried tomatoes julienned
- olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts 2, butterflied
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups frozen quartered artichoke hearts (14 ounce canned if unavailable)
- 1 endive cored and cut into thin strips, or 1 cup micro greens or frisee
- ¼ cup Greek or French olives pitted and chopped
- ¼ cup lightly packed minced parsley
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
Use a 6-quart pot to boil water and cook pasta until al dente. Drain in colander; add splash of olive oil and stir to keep from sticking.
If using dry sun-dried tomatoes, place in small bowl and cover with some boiling pasta water to rehydrate. After 10 - 15 minutes, when soft, julienne.
If using frozen artichokes, cook according to package directions. Drain, pat dry and cool. If using canned artichokes, rinse well, pat dry.
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat heavy skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Coat pan with olive oil. Place cutlets in pan, cook without moving, until lightly browned, about 3 - 5 minutes. Turn and cook until second side is lightly browned, and center is cooked, another 3 - 4 minutes. Remove to plate to cool; dice 1/2 inch.
In large serving bowl, combine pasta, chicken, artichokes, endive or greens, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, and parsley.
In a small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients, adding salt and pepper to taste. Toss with pasta salad.