Rhubarb - Mango Compote
This is a very easy dessert that is both beautiful and delicious when served with ice cream. Ideal for summer guests.Based on a recipe by Moira Hodgson, The New York Times.
Servings: 4 SERVINGS
- 2 tablespoons unsalted margarine or butter
- 1 pound rhubarb approx. 3 stalks, cut into 3/4" pieces
- 1 large ripe mango peeled and cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Creme fraiche or whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
- sugar cookies for garnish
- Place oven rack in center of oven; preheat to 350° F. Butter a shallow baking dish; add rhubarb and mango. Sprinkle with sugar, grated lemon peel, and ginger. Toss well to combine.
- Dot fruit mixture with butter. Bake about 30 minutes, or until rhubarb is soft but still holds its shape. Serve warm or at room temperature, with creme fraiche, whipped cream, or ice cream. Decorate with a cookie or pass separately.
To serve additional people, simply use a larger baking dish and multiply the ingredients accordingly.