Jicama, Mango and Green Cabbage Slaw with Citrus Vinaigrette
From Raising the Salad Bar, Catherine Walthers, Lake Isle Press, NY, 2007, p 213.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 mango Peel and slice into 1/8 to 1/4" julienned strips
- 1/4 pound jicama (about 1/4 of a medium-sized jimaca) Cut into 1/8" thick julienned strips, approximately 1 cup.
- 4 cups thinly sliced green cabbage, about 1/2 head
- 1 red bell pepper cored and thinly sliced
- 5 scallion greens thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons light vinegar (i.e. apple cider vinegar, rice vinegar, or Champagne vinegar)
- 2 teaspoons finely minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons honey or sugar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- salt to taste
- In a large serving bowl, toss together salad ingredients.
- In a small bowl, add vinaigrette ingredients. Whisk to combine.
- Dress the slaw with generous amount of vinaigrette just before serving; toss to combine.
If you can't find jicama, ordinary radishes may be substituted. Suggested variations:
- Replace scallions with 1/2 cup chopped cilantro.
- Adding a cup of finely shredded red cabbage.
- Replace green cabbage with equal amount of milder Napa cabbage.