Mexican Sweet Potato and Black Bean Salad
This is a nice summer salad of sweet potatoes, black beans, and corn with the warm Mexican flavors of cumin, chile powder and coriander. The chipotle chile in adobo sauce that is used in the dressing lends a slightly smoky taste that is not too spicy. Pairs nicely with grilled fish or meat.Based on a recipe from Raising the Salad Bar, Catherine Walthers, Lake Isle Press, NY, 2007, p 136.
Servings: 8 servings
- 4 medium sweet potatoes peeled and diced 3/4"
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups corn kernels preferably fresh from 3 - 4 ears of corn, or frozen
- 2 cups cooked black beans rinsed and drained (canned is fine)
- 4 scallions thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 chipotle chili pepper from a can of chipotles in adobo
- 1/2 clove garlic finely minced
- 1 tablespoons Thai sweet chile sauce Maesri brand is good
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Preheat oven to 375 °F.
- In large bowl, toss sweet potato chunks with oil. Sprinkle with coriander, cumin, chile powder, and salt. Toss to uniformly coat. Spread in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast 20 - 25 minutes until golden at edges and just tender.
- Meanwhile, microwave corn in small amount of water for 3 - 5 minutes. Drain and place in large serving bowl. Add black beans; stir to combine.
- When sweet potatoes are done, cool slightly, then add to corn and beans. Add scallions and cilantro; toss gently to combine. Pour enough dressing over salad to moisten ingredients and toss again.
- Use a blender or food processor to process chipotle chile, garlic, and sweet chile sauce until smooth. Add lime juice; process again. With machine running, slowly add canola oil, processing until dressing is emulsified.
Extra dressing is good with white fish like cod. Roll salad in a flour tortilla to make a wrap. Diced cooked chicken can be stirred in also to make a wrap.