Thai Quinoa Salad
Quinoa with crisp garden vegetables tossed with mint, cilantro and a light lime dressing.This salad makes an excellent pairing for Shrimp Brochettes with Asian Glaze https://catherinechristiano.com/2019/05/27/shrimp-brochettes-with-asian-glaze/ . Also pairs well with shrimp, crab or lobster.From Raising the Salad Bar, Catherine Walthers, Lake Isle Press, NY, 2007, p 190.
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper cored and cut into very thin strips
- 1 carrot peeled and shredded or julienned into small strips
- 1 small cucumber peeled, seeded and 1/2" diced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 tablespoons fresh lime juice from about 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- In a 1-1/2-quart saucepan, add quinoa and 1-1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 13 - 15 minutes, until water is absorbed. Turn off heat, let sit 5 additional minutes, then remove from heat to completely cool. Meanwhile prepare remaining salad ingredients.
- In large serving bowl, combine cooled quinoa, red pepper, carrot, and cucumber. Toss to combine.
- In small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients until sugar is dissolved.
- Add dressing to salad, toss. Gently mix in mint and cilantro. Add dressing only to portion of salad that you anticipate serving. Store dressing and extra salad separately in refrigerator.
If you don't have Asian fish sauce on hand, substitute with Light Soy Sauce.