Lemon - Spinach Couscous Salad
This salad incorporates the classic flavor combination of lemon, Parmesan, and spinach. Best served room temperature. Pair with Grilled Lemon Parsley Boneless Chicken Breasts and a tossed green salad for a complete meal. https://catherinechristiano.com/2019/05/26/grilled-lemon-parsley-boneless-chicken-breasts/ Grilled vegetables or fish would also pair well.From Raising the Salad Bar, Catherine Walthers, Lake Isle Press, NY, 2007, p 84.
Servings: 6 servings
- 3 cups uncooked Italian or Israeli Couscous
- 5 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 cup minced Vidalia onion
- 8 ounces baby spinach washed, dried, and roughly chopped
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice from 2 - 3 lemons
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Asiago or Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 4 scallions chopped
- 1 lemon thinly sliced
- Use a 6-quart stock pot to cook couscous until al dente in chicken stock according to package directions. Drain couscous, leaving some starchy stock in pot. Immediately add onions and toss. Then add spinach and toss. Then oil.
- When couscous is cool, add garlic, parsley, lemon juice, and pepper. Add salt to taste and additional lemon juice, if needed. Transfer to serving bowl, top with some additional grated cheese and scallions. Garnish with thinly sliced lemons.
Try sauteeing the onion first.