Black Bean and Rice Salad with Chile-Lime Vinaigrette
This salad pairs well with chicken or shrimp. If using dried black beans, remember that beans need to be soaked overnight. Salad ingredients also need time to cool before combining to serve.From Raising the Salad Bar, Catherine Walthers, Lake Isle Press, NY, 2007, p 191.
Servings: 6 servings
- 3/4 cup dried black beans soaked overnight, or 15 ounce canned
- 1 cup long grain brown rice 3 cups when cooked
- 1 red bell pepper, raw or roasted cored and diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder or ancho chile powder
- pinch cayenne or ground chipotle pepper
- 6 tablespoons fresh lime juice from 2 - 3 limes
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- If using dried beans, place in 2-quart saucepan, cover with 3 inches water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer and cook, partially covered, until tender but not mushy, approximately 60 -75 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in 1 1/2-quart saucepan add rice and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook, covered, for 35 - 40 minutes until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and let sit 5 additional minutes. Set aside to completely cool.
- To make vinaigrette, whisk all ingredients together in small bowl.
- To make salad, in a large serving bowl, combine beans and rice. Stir in red pepper and onion. Add dressing and cilantro and toss.
Variations include adding corn from two ears of fresh corn, diced cooked chicken, cooked shrimp. For a spicier version, add a minced jalapeno pepper.