Rhubarb - Amaretti Strudel
Tart rhubarb with orange zest, cinnamon, brown sugar, walnuts and almond cookie crumbs in pastry dough - a nice dessert served warm with vanilla ice cream.Based on a recipe from The Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook, Julee Rosso & Sheila Lukins, 1985, Workman Publishing, NY.
Servings: 8 servings
- puff pastry sheet thawed Pepperidge Farm works well, use 1 sheet from package of 2
- 2 1/2 cups rhubarb sliced 1/2"
- 1 cup crushed amaretti biscuits Aleia's Almond Horns work well
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- grated zest of 1 orange
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- vanilla ice cream
- Blanch rhubarb in boiling water for 1 1/2 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
- In medium bowl, combine almond cookie crumbs, brown sugar, cinnamon, orange zest and walnuts.
- Place thawed pastry dough on floured surface. Lightly flour and roll to 12 x 15 inch rectangle.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Make a compact row of rhubarb pieces 2 inches from one long edge of the dough. Sprinkle rhubarb evenly with sugar mixture.
- Starting at edge with rhubarb, roll up dough like a jelly roll. Turn seam side down and fold both ends under to seal.
- Bake until golden brown, 40 to 50 minutes. Let stand several minutes, and then slice. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.