Shrimp -Couscous Salad with Tomato, Basil and Lemon Parmesan
This salad with the classic combination of tomato and basil makes a nice summer meal.Based on a recipe from Cooking Light, June 1997, p. 104.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 pound medium shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 1 1/2 cups diced plum tomatoes
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup 2 ounces grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup low-salt chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Add water to a 1 1/2 quart saucepan. Bring to a boil, add shrimp and cook 3 - 5 minutes, depending on size of shrimp, until firm and pink. Remove shrimp while reserving cooking liquid. Add couscous to reserved liquid, cover and let stand 5 minutes. Use fork to fluff.
- In a large serving bowl, combine couscous, shrimp, tomatoes, and green onions. Combine dressing ingredients and pour over salad. Toss to evenly coat, sprinkle with Parmesan and serve.