Mojo de Ajo (Citrus-Garlic) Sauce for Grilling
This is a spicy, but not too hot, sauce that is good for grilling, especially seafood. See the recipe Grilled Shrimp with Mojo de Ajo (Citrus-Garlic) Sauce, Citrus Salsa and Avocado.This idea is from Susan Herrmann Loomis, The New York Times Magazine, sometime around 1995.
Servings: 1 cup
- 1 tablespoon annatto or achiote seeds soaked for 1 hour, or if unavailable 2 teaspoons tumeric
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 allspice berry
- 1 serrano chili trimmed
- 1 cup cilantro lightly packed
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- If using annatto or achiote seeds, drain water and add to blender. Add all remaining Mojo de Ajo Sauce ingredients to blender. Process until mixture is coarsely chopped.
- Brush on fish or meat before grilling. Store extra sauce in refrigerator.