Cornish Hens or Roast Chicken with Red Raisin Sauce
The sweet sauce with currant jelly and raisins pairs perfectly with the savory stuffing. A great recipe to serve for a small gathering of guests; with only 45 minutes of prep time, the chicken roasts while the remainder of the meal is prepared.Based on a recipe from The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook, Zoe Coulson, Hearst Books, New York, 1980.
Servings: 4 servings
- 4 Rock Cornish game hens 1 pound each or roasting chicken
- salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine melted
- 2 cups seasoned stuffing croutons
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery and leaves
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Red Raisin Sauce
- 3/4 cup red currant jelly
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Line roasting pan with foil for easy cleanup. Place rack in center of oven. preheat to 425°F for Cornish hens, 400°F for whole chicken.
- Sprinkle body cavity of hens or chicken with salt and pepper.
- In medium bowl, add stuffing ingredients; toss to until uniformly combined.
- Spoon stuffing into body cavities. Carefully loosen skin on top of breasts and work in 1/2 tablespoon butter or margarine (2 tablespoons for roasting chicken) between skin and meat on each side. Tie legs together. Place on rack in roasting pan. Roast, breast side up, uncovered. Hens will take approximately 1 hour to cook. An 8 pound chicken will take approximately 2 hours. While chicken is roasting, prepare sauce.
- During last 15 minutes, cut strings around legs to allow heat to penetrate and brush with some Red Raisin Sauce.
- Remove chicken from oven when thermometer inserted in center of breast reaches 180°F. Allow to rest for 10 minutes. Small hens make for individual servings. For whole roasting chicken, spoon stuffing into serving dish, and carve chicken. Pass Red Raisin sauce separately.
Red Raisin Sauce
- In 2-quart saucepan over medium-low heat, combine sauce ingredients. Cook, stirring occasionally, until blended, about 10 minutes.