If you have a good pizzeria nearby the time and expense of making this recipe probably doesn't make sense. However, it can be nice to make your own. Remember to allow time for dough to rise in advance.This recipe makes 2 medium sized pizzas.
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes canned
- 3 ounces tomato paste canned
- 1 teaspoon oregano dried
- 1 teaspoon basil dried
- corn meal
- flour for working dough
- dough for 2 pizzas (buy frozen from market or bakery), follow package directions for rising
- 1 pound mozzarella cheese part skim milk, grated
- Parmesan cheese grated
- pepperoni sliced
- sweet Italian sausage cooked and sliced
- vidalia onion cooked and moisture removed
- peppers cooked and moisture removed
- sliced mushrooms
- Preheat oven with stone to 450°F.
- Using a skillet, saute garlic in olive oil, then adding rest of ingredients. Simmer about 15 min. Makes enough sauce for four pizzas. Freeze any extra sauce.
- Dust pizza peel with corn meal. Dust work surface with flour. Stretch and shape dough to largest circle that can fit on pizza stone. Place dough on corn meal dusted pizza peel. Using a spoon, spread a thin layer of sauce over dough, keeping about 1/2" from edge. Sprinkle with half the mozzarella, then sprinkle with a small amount of Parmesan cheese.
- Skillfully place on pizza stone in oven. Bake for approximately 12 minutes, until edges of pizza are brown and cheese is melted and bubbling. Use peel to remove to cutting board.