Arugula and Roasted Red Pepper Salad with Vinaigrette Dressing
An attractive easy to prepare salad served with Asiago cheese and toasted bread.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 3 large red bell peppers can substitute 12 ounce jar roasted red peppers
- 8 slices baguette style bread 1/2" thick
- 1 clove garlic cut in 1/2
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 6 cups torn arugula
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley chopped
- 1/4 pound Asiago Cheese cut in 1/2" slices
- Freshly ground pepper
- Mix vinegar and garlic in small bowl. Gradually whisk in 2/3 cup oil. Using a food processor helps to homogenize the vinaigrette.
ROASTED RED PEPPERS
- Charbroil peppers over a gas flame until blackened. Place in paper bag for 10 minutes. Peel and remove seeds; rinse and pat dry. If using peppers from a jar, rinse and pat dry. Cut in 1/2 inch strips and marinate in 1/2 cup vinaigrette.
- If making individual round toasts, preheat toaster oven to 350°F. Slice baguette into 1/2" thick rounds, rub with garlic, and brush with olive oil. Toast bread in oven until dry. If making in advance, cool and store in an air tight container.
- Alternatively, cut baguette into chunks about 3 - 4 inches in length and then in two horizontally, as if for a sandwich. Rub with garlic, brush with olive oil and just before serving salad toast in toaster oven.
- Toss arugula lightly with dressing and arrange on platter or individual plates. Place peppers, then cheese on top. Garnish with parsley and season with pepper. Serve with bread.
Roasting fresh peppers and making individual toasts add to the prep time for this salad. Using roasted red peppers from a jar and toasted sections of baguette can work fine.