Mexican Chicken Breasts
5 Star Sensations, Carol Crane, 1991, The Auxiliary of University Hospitals of Cleveland, p 161.
Servings: 6 servings
- 3 large skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 1 cup diced green chiles 7oz can
- 4 ounces Monterey jack cheese cut into 8 strips
- 1/4 cup margarine melted
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 cup crumbled corn flakes a food processor is faster, approximately 1 1/2 cups corn flakes before crumbling
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 16 ounces salsa
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce shredded
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut chicken breasts laterally in half and pound each to 1/4 inch thickness. Place 2 tablespoons diced chilies and 1 strip of cheese in center of each breast. Roll up and tuck ends under, securing with toothpicks.
- Combine melted margarine and garlic. In a pie plate, combine corn flake crumbs and remaining ingredients. Dip each piece of assembled chicken in melted butter, then roll in crumb mixture. Place seam-side down in baking dish. Drizzle with remaining melted margarine.
- Bake uncovered for approximately 30 minutes, or until done.
- TO SERVE
- Arrange a bed of shredded lettuce on plate. Place chicken on top and spoon on salsa.
Pairs well with Spanish Rice. If preparing rice as well, allow 2 hours total to cook meal.