Based on a recipe from Cook's Illustrated magazine.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 large orange washed and sliced
- 1 large orange juiced
- 1 large lemon washed and sliced
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup Triple Sec
- 750 milliliter bottle inexpensive fruity, medium-bodied red wine (Merlot is a good choice), chilled
- Add sliced orange, lemon, and sugar to a large pitcher; mash gently with wooden spoon until fruit releases some juice, but is not totally crushed, and sugar dissolves, about 1 minute. Stir in orange juice, Triple Sec, and wine; refrigerate for at least 2 and up to 8 hours.
- Before serving, add 6 to 8 ice cubes and stir briskly to distribute settled fruit and pulp; serve immediately.