Good for breakfast, as a snack or simple dessert.
Servings: 12 pancakes
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 1/8 cup canola oil
- 1/8 cup water
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canned or cooked and mashed pumpkin
- canola oil for griddle
- confectioner's sugar
- Preheat oven to low and place plates on racks to prewarm.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices.
- In a medium mixing bowl using whisk, beat egg. Mix in oil, water, buttermilk, and pumpkin.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture and mix using whisk just until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Heat griddle or frying pan to about 325 °F. Coat with canola oil.
- Drop spoonfuls of batter onto griddle.
- Turn pancakes after small bubbles appear and edges start to brown.
- Remove pancakes to warm plates in oven as they turn golden brown.
- Serve with confectioner's sugar.
Try scaling up to make more and use up entire 15 oz can of pumpkin. Try experimenting with substituting canola oil for shortening.