Grilled Shrimp with Ham or Bacon
Based on a recipe from The New York Times Cookbook, Craig Claiborne, 1961, Harper & Row, Publishers, Inc., New York, NY, p 292.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1/2 cup cognac or dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon basil or marjoram
- 32 large shrimp shelled and deveined
- 32 thin strips ham or half slices bacon
- 1/4 cup sifted dry bread crumbs
- lemon wedges
- If using wooden skewers, soak in water in advance.
- In a medium bowl, combine marinade ingredients. Add shrimp, marinate in refrigerator one hour or longer.
- Wrap each shrimp with a strip of ham and string on skewers, allowing four or eight for each skewer.
- Place in a preheated broiler about four inches from heat source, cook until fat is partially browned. Roll in crumbs, return to broiler and cook until golden brown.
- Serve with lemon wedges.