This is a hearty beef broth based soup, loaded with vegetables, tortellini and sausage that makes a complete meal.Based on a recipe from 5 Star Sensations, Larry Ferrone, 1991, The Auxiliary of University Hospitals of Cleveland, p 82.
Servings: 8 servings
- olive oil or canola oil cooking spray
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage chicken sausage works well
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups low sodium beef broth
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 14 1/2 ounces canned unsalted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup carrots peeled and sliced 1/2" thick, about 2 medium sized carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 ounces canned unsalted tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups celery diced 1/2", about 2 large celery stalks
- 1 medium green pepper, approximately 1 1/2 cups diced 1/2"
- 8 ounces frozen cheese tortellini
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- grated Parmesan cheese
- Spray bottom of 6-quart stock pot with oil. Place sausages in pot and brown over medium-high heat, approximately 5 minutes, and turning often. Reduce heat to medium-low. Carefully add 1/2 cup water, cover, simmer 12 min or until an instant read thermometer inserted in center registers 160°F. Remove to cutting board; when slightly cool, slice approximately 1/4 inch thick.
- Wipe out excess grease in pot with paper towels. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; saute until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add 2 1/2 cups water, broth, wine, tomatoes, carrots, basil, oregano, tomato sauce, celery, green peppers, and sausage. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until carrots and celery are tender.
- Add tortellini and parsley and simmer, uncovered, another 20 minutes until the tortellini are tender.
- Serve in bowls, passing grated Parmesan cheese.