This is a moist cake with a cinnamon flavor that contrasts nicely with the cream cheese frosting. Bake cake a day ahead or early in the day to allow time to cool before frosting.This is the recipe that was handed down from Aunt Maggie.
Servings: 12 servings
- 1 1/2 cups canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups peeled, grated carrots approximately 1 lb.
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
CAKE - 40 min prep - 60 min baking time - plus time to cool
- Place rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Grease and flour a tube pan.
- Add oil, eggs, and sugar to large bowl of stand mixer; mix until uniformly combined.
- In small bowl, sift together cinnamon, baking soda, flour, and salt. Add to large bowl and stir to combine. Add grated carrots; beat until uniformly mixed. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 55 - 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- When done, allow to cool 5 minutes before turning cake onto cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
FROSTING - 15 min prep - 15 min to frost cake
- In large bowl of stand mixer, beat together cream cheese, butter and vanilla. Add only enough sugar until frosting is a good spreading consistency.
Using reduced fat cream cheese yields a frosting that has less viscosity, but is still fine.