Vegetable Soup with Chicken and Soba Noodles or Pork Wontons
This is a nice Asian style soup seasoned with ginger and a bit of hot pepper that is loaded with vegetables. Make this recipe with soba noodles and boneless chicken or with pork wontons. See the separate recipe for making the pork wontons. This makes a complete, nice winter meal.Based on a recipe by Amanda Cushman found on LymeLine.net, February 11, 2014.
Servings: 8 servings
- 9 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups Chinese (Napa) cabbage finely sliced OR 7 ounces bean sprouts
- 1 red pepper or 1 medium carrot small julienned
- 1/4 pound shiitake mushrooms thinly sliced
- 4 scallions thinly sliced
- 3 inch piece fresh ginger finely julienned
- 1 boneless, skinless, chicken breast cut into 1/4" strips
- 6 ounces soba noodles cooked and drained
- 1 4 ounces watercress OR swiss chard, spinach, or bok choy tough stems removed and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup soy sauce or Tamari
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Place a 6-quart stock pot on stove. Add stock; bring to simmer over medium-high heat. Add cabbage (if using but not bean sprouts), red pepper or carrot, sliced mushrooms, scallions, and ginger; simmer 5 minutes.
- If using chicken, add chicken. If using wontons, frozen or fresh, add them. Cook another 5 minutes. Stir in bean sprouts (if using), watercress or swiss chard or spinach or bok choy; Cook another minute. Stir in soba noodles, if using, and remaining ingredients. Serve warm.