Corn Bread or Muffins
Based on a recipe from The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook, Zoe Coulson, Hearst Books, New York, 1980, p 428.
Servings: 9 servings
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon double-acting baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- Place rack in center of oven, preheat to 425° F. Grease and flour an 8" x 8" square baking pan, 9" round cake pan, or for muffins, use paper liners or grease 12-cup muffin pan.
- In medium bowl with fork, mix together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In small bowl, whisk together egg, milk, and oil. Pour all at once into flour mixture.
- Stir just until flour is moistened, pour batter into prepared baking pan and spread to even out or divide evenly into muffin cups.
- Bake bread 25 minutes or until golden. For muffins, bake approximately 20 minutes. Remove from pan and allow to cool on wire rack. Serve bread warm, cut into squares.