Asian Chicken Salad with Orange and Edamame
A nice refreshing salad with a citrus-honey-mustard vinaigrette that is perfect for a spring or summer meal. This is also a pretty salad that would work well for a buffet.From Raising the Salad Bar, Catherine Walthers, Lake Isle Press, NY, 2007, p 83.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 pound pan fried boneless skinless chicken breast approximately 3 halves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup cashews dry-roasted, unsalted
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame beans
- 6 cups butterhead lettuce leaves approximately 1 head, Bibb or baby greens are also fine. Gently torn into bite sized pieces.
- 1 cup frisee lettuce or baby arugula in bite-size pieces
- 2 stalks celery peeled, halved lengthwise, and very thinly sliced
- 2 navel oranges sectioned
- 1/2 small red onion very thinly sliced
- CITRUS-HONEY-MUSTARD VINAIGRETTE
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian chili sauce or Sriracha sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Cook boneless chicken breast by following recipe for Boneless Chicken Breasts for Salads - Pan Fried. When cool, thinly slice chicken on diagonal.
- Boil water in a 1 quart sauce pan; cook edamame for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water until cool.
- Combine lettuce and frisee or arugula; arrange on single large platter or individual plates. Sprinkle with edamame, celery, and red onion. Arrange orange segments and sliced chicken on top. Sprinkle with cashews.
- In a small bowl, combine all vinaigrette ingredients and whisk until combined.
- When serving salad, pass dressing.
Ingredients can be prepared in advance and the salad can be assembled shortly before serving.