Chocolate Chip Cookies
This is the classic chocolate chip cookie.Based on a recipe from Betty Crocker's Cookbook, New and Revised Edition, Golden Press, NY, 1983, p 266.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup margarine softened
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional) walnuts, pecans, or hazelnuts
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips 12 ounce package
- Position oven racks so top rack is one-third from the top and bottom rack is one-third up from the bottom. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Gather two baking sheets and cooling racks.
- In the large bowl of a stand mixer, mix sugars, margarine, shortening, eggs, and vanilla until uniform. Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Place rounded teaspoonfuls of dough approximately 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, until light brown. If baking two sheets at once, rotate halfway through. Remove from oven. Allow to cool one minute before using spatula to transfer cookies to cooling rack.