This is a classic recipe for shrimp broiled in lemon, garlic, and butter. A fun fact is that if the garlic is a bit old the acid in the lemon will turn it a blue-green color, so make sure the garlic is fresh!Based on a recipe from The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook, Zoe Coulson, Hearst Books, New York, 1980, p 164.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 1/2 pounds large fresh shrimp shelled and deveined
- 4 large garlic cloves finely minced
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- lemon wedges
- Preheat broiler. Line rimmed baking pan with foil.
- Place shrimp in single layer on pan.
- In 1-quart saucepan or microwave dish, add minced garlic, butter, and next 4 ingredients (through pepper). Heat until butter is melted.
- Spoon butter mixture evenly over shrimp. Broil until shrimp are pink and cooked, about 5 - 8 minutes.
- Serve immediately sprinkled with parsley and garnished with lemon.
Serving suggestions include rice and steamed vegetables.