Noodle Soup with Shrimp
This soup has loads of noodles in a clear broth with shrimp and crisp vegetables.Based on a recipe from DK Children's Cookbook, Katharine Ibbs, 2004, DK Publishing, New York, NY, p 52.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 scallions trimmed, sliced diagonally
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 5 cups fish stock or low sodium chicken broth
- 2 thin slices fresh ginger peeled
- 2 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 1 cup baby corn cut in half
- 5 ounces fine egg or brown rice noodles
- 1 cup sugar snap peas trimmed and strings removed
- 1/2 pound medium raw shrimp peeled
- 2 drops sesame oil
- 4 teaspoons fresh cilantro chopped
- In a 3-quart saucepan, over medium heat, heat oil. Saute the scallions 1-2 minutes, until soft.
- Add ginger, stock, lime juice, and soy sauce. Bring to a boil then lower heat and simmer 2-3 minutes.
- Remove ginger. Add noodles and corn. Bring to a boil, after 1 1/2 minutes, add sugar snap peas, and cook an additional 1 1/2 minutes.
- Lower heat and bring soup to a simmer. Stir in the shrimp; cook approximately 3 minutes until done, shrimp will be pink.
- Stir in sesame oil and cilantro, and serve immediately.
Brown rice noodles work well. If using fresh noodles, use double the weight. If baby corn is not available substituting strips of yellow or red peppers works.