Risotto alla Milanese
A classic Milanese recipe with a beautiful golden color from saffron. This risotto pairs beautifully with Veal Stew Milanese.Based on a recipe from The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook, Zoe Coulson, 1980, Hearst Books, NY, p 339.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup minced yellow onion approximately 1 small
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 3.25 cups low sodium chicken broth heated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In 3-quart oven-safe pot over medium heat, heat olive oil. Saute onion until golden. Or, using 3-quart oven-safe microwave casserole dish with lid, add olive oil and onion, microwave until tender, approximately 2 minutes.
- Add rice and stir until oil is absorbed.
- Stir in preheated broth, salt, saffron, and pepper. Heat, stirring frequently, to boiling. Cover and bake in oven 30 minutes, until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese.