Chicken - Barley Soup with Vegetables
A hearty chicken soup, with carrots and celery, and a great way to make use of a carcass from roast chicken.
Servings: 8 servings
- bones left-over meat and juice from one chicken
- 1 quart water
- 1 quart low sodium chicken broth
- 4 medium carrots peeled and cut into 3/8" slices, approx 2 cups
- 4 medium stalks celery cut into 3/8" slices, approx 2 cups
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1 tablespoon parsley chopped
- Dice leftover chicken meat and set aside.
- Add chicken bones and all remaining ingredients to a 6-quart stock pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer about 45 minutes, or until barley is tender. Skim fat and any impurities.
- Transfer chicken to cutting board. Separate meat from bones, dice and add back to broth along with additional meat set aside earlier. Adjust seasonings, garnish with parsley, and serve hot.
Can easily be scaled up if using bones from two chickens or from a turkey. Corn bread makes a great side for this soup.