The flavors of the shrimp juxtapose well with the sweet peas and the creamy Parmesan of the risotto.
Servings: 6 servings
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion chopped fine
- 1 1/4 cups arborio rice
- 4 3/8 cups low sodium chicken broth heated
- 1 cup frozen petite peas
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp peeled and cleaned, 1 to 1 1/2 lbs is good
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil. Add finely chopped onion and saute until brown. Add rice and stir until evenly coated with the olive oil. Add 1/2 of the heated broth, bring to a slow boil stirring frequently. When broth is nearly absorbed continue to simmer and add remaining broth incrementally, allowing broth to absorb in between additions, while stirring continually. When the broth has been absorbed, stir in peas and black pepper; stir while cook approximately 3 more minutes, until rice is "al dente".
- While rice is cooking, clean shrimp.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Saute sliced onion until it just begins to brown. Reduce heat to medium, add the shrimp, and cook uncovered until pink, about 4 minutes depending on size of shrimp. Remove skillet from heat and keep warm. Stir into risotto prepared above.
- Once risotto is ready, stir in the shrimp and Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
Goes well with steamed vegetables or a green salad.