With vanilla, cinnamon, and a small amount butter, this is a great recipe for a common breakfast menu item that is best served with warm maple syrup.
Servings: 15 slices
- 15 large slices hearty white sandwich bread Arnold Country Classics White or Pepperidge Farm Farmhouse Hearty White
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- maple syrup
- Dry bread slightly by toasting very lightly. Place serving dish and plates in oven and preheat to 175 degrees F. Preheat griddle to 320 degrees F or set a large skillet on the stove.
- Using a 9" square baking dish or pie plate, whisk eggs, milk, and vanilla until well blended.
- If using a skillet, over medium-low heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. If using griddle melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Meanwhile, soak bread in milk mixture on both sides until saturated but not falling apart. Allow excess milk mixture to drip off bread slice and place in melted butter, sprinkle lightly with cinnamon. Repeat, cooking as many slices of bread at a time as will fit. Cook until golden brown on the first side, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip, sprinkle second side of bread with cinnamon, and continue to cook until second side is golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes longer. Transfer to serving dish in oven. Wipe skillet or griddle down with paper towels. Repeat cooking with remaining bread.
- Warm the maple syrup. Serve french toast warm, passing maple syrup.