Meatballs with Tomato Sauce
This is the Christiano family recipe. A traditional Italian-American recipe that is usually served with pasta and also makes a great sandwich on Italian bread.
Servings: 40 1 1/2" meatballs
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cans 28 ounces each of unsalted crushed tomatoes in thick puree (Red Pack brand is recommended)
- 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 8 ounces red wine Motepulcian de Abruzzo or Cabernet Sauvignon recommeded
- 14 ounces beef broth
- 3 fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt to taste
- canola oil spray
- 1 1/2 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 pounds 93% lean ground beef
- 3 large eggs
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons basil finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley finely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In an 8 quart stock pot heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute until soft, approximately 5 minutes. Add in all remaining ingredients for the tomato sauce. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a maintain low simmer, for about 2 hours, or while preparing the meatballs.
- Place oven rack in the middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a rimmed baking sheet with canola oil.
- In a large bowl, moisten Italian bread crumbs with 1/3 cup of water. Add all remaining ingredients for the meatballs. Mix until uniform.
- Use a tablespoon to shape the meat mixture into 1 1/2 - 2 inch balls and place on baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, add to pot of tomato sauce. Simmer on low heat for 1 hour. Serve with pasta, passing grated Parmesan cheese. Stores well in the refrigerator or freezer.
To minimize prep time, use a food processor to chop onions and garlic.