The topping on this version of the recipe is more dense than a crumb topping, with a great combination of dark brown sugar, oats, cinnamon and nutmeg. Best served warm with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- 6 Granny Smith apples peeled and sliced approximately 3/16 inch thick
- 1/2 cup salted margarine
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup rolled oats
- Place oven rack in middle position and preheat to 350 degrees F.
- Place apples in a baking dish approximately 10" in diameter or 9" square.
- Melt margarine in a small saucepan or in the microwave in a covered dish. Add the brown sugar, flour, and spices. Stir until completely combined then add oats.
- Using a spoon or fork drop small amounts of the mixture onto the apples to form a uniform layer of topping.
- Bake approximately 40-45 minutes, or until apples are tender when tested with a knife. Ideal when served warm with vanilla ice cream.