A buttery cookie that is impossible to eat only one of.Based on a recipe from Betty Crocker's Cookbook, 1983, Golden Press, NY.
- 1 cup salted margarine or butter softened
- 5/8 cup sugar
- 2 1/4 cups unbleached flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Gather cookie sheets, cooling rack, and cookie press.
- Using a stand mixer, combine margarine or butter and sugar. Mix in remaining ingredients.
- Use cookie press to form desired shapes on ungreased cookie sheet. If desired, decorate with currants, raisins, candies, nuts, or colored sugar. Bake until set but not brown, 6 to 9 minutes. Immediately remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack.
- Chocolate Spritz: Stir in 2 ounces melted unsweetened chocolate (cool) into margarine or butter mixture.
If you're going to the trouble you'll probably want to double the recipe.