Tortellini, Tomato, Spinach Soup with Rosemary
Based on a recipe from Cottage Living magazine, October 2017.
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion 1/4" dice, approximately 1 medium
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced, approximately 3 average cloves
- 14 1/2 ounces canned unsalted diced tomatoes
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth for vegetarian version, preheat in microwave to save time
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary or 1/2 tsp crushed dried rosemary
- 12 ounces frozen cheese tortellini
- 3 cups chopped fresh spinach leaves approximately 4 ounces fresh, tough stems removed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 tablespoons Pesto - Basil, Pine Nut
- Parmesan cheese grated
- Preheat broth in microwave.
- Heat olive oil in a 6-quart stock pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and saute 5 minutes until softened.
- Add tomatoes and liquid, chicken broth, and rosemary. Bring to a boil then reduce heat, and simmer, covered, 5 minutes.
- Add tortellini, return to a low boil, and cook until pasta is al dente, approximately 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in chopped spinach. Let stand approximately 2 minutes, until spinach is wilted. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with a spoonful of pesto or pass Parmesan cheese.
A double batch takes 55 minutes.