Chinese Fried Walnuts
- 4 cups California walnut halves approximately 1 pound
- 1/2 cup sugar
- canola oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Fill a 3-quart saucepan 2/3 full with water, bring to a boil. Add walnuts; reheat to boiling; cook 1 minute. Drain in colander and rinse under hot water.
- In large bowl, toss walnuts in sugar.
- In sauce pan, heat about 1 inch oil to 350 degrees F. Using slotted spoon, add a portion of walnuts; fry 5 - 6 minutes or until golden, stirring often. With slotted spoon, remove walnuts to coarse sieve placed over bowl to drain; sprinkle with salt; toss lightly to keep walnuts from sticking together. Transfer to waxed paper to cool. Fry remaining walnuts in batches.
- When cool, store in tightly covered container.