Viennese Shortbread Cookies
These are Spritz cookies filled with coffee frosting and dipped in chocolate. Somewhat time consuming but very nice.Based on a recipe from a 1960s Betty Crocker Cookie Cookbook.
- Spritz cookie dough
- 1 cup sifted confectioner's sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted margarine
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 2 teaspoons boiling water
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate
- Follow recipe for baking Spritz cookies using a wide flat die for the cookie press.
- Combine filling ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Once cookies are cool, fill with a generous layer of filling.
- In a double boiler over hot water that is not boiling, melt chocolate. Dip one end of each cookie in chocolate and place on wax paper to cool.
If you don't have a cookie press, the dough may be rolled and cut with cookie cutters. While using semisweet chocolate is fine, experiment with darker chocolate or using a recipe for a glaze.