Based on a recipe from Betty Crocker's Cookbook, 1983, Golden Press, NY, p 257.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 quart strawberries hulled and sliced
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- In medium bowl combine strawberries and sugar. Let stand one hour to form syrup from berries.
- Place oven rack in center and preheat to 450°F.
- A food processor will be faster for making dough. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add butter in small pieces and pulse until consistency of coarse crumbs. Stir in milk until just combined.
- Form dough into ball and turn onto floured surface. Knead 20 - 25 times. Roll to 1/2 inch thickness; cut with floured 3-inch diameter circle cookie cutter. Place on ungreased baking pan 1 inch apart.
- Bake until golden, 10 - 12 minutes.
- While hot, split shortcakes horizontally in half using fork. Spoon a small amount of syrup from berries onto split side of shortcake, spread on some whipped cream, add berries, top with second half of shortcake then more berries and a final dollop of whipped cream. Note that this makes a large dessert and serving 1/2 a shortcake for each person is probably fine.