Fluffy Boiled Frosting
This frosting has a light marshmallow-like consistency and has no fat. Tastes great with chocolate cake and white layer cakes with fruit fillings. Makes enough to frost a 2 layer 9" cake. To frost a 2 layer oblong cake, double.Based on a recipe from The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook, Zoe Coulson, Hearst Books, New York, 1980
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons water
- 3 large egg whites room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place 1-quart saucepan over medium heat, add sugar, cream of tartar, and water. Boil without stirring until candy thermometer reaches 260°F, or until a small amount dropped in a glass of water forms a hard ball. Remove from heat.
- In bowl of stand mixer, beat egg whites at high speed until soft peaks form. With mixer on, pour syrup into egg whites in thin stream. Add vanilla and continue beating until mixture forms stiff peaks. Frost cake shortly after.